Basic Education Goals
- Understand and develop basic, moral and spiritual values.
- Develop correct values.
- Maintain good physical and mental health.
- Discover and develop creative talent.
- Develop effective study skills.
- Develop the ability to work cooperatively.
- Desire and achieve socially responsible behavior.
- Develop the ability to adapt to changing conditions and to learn from mistakes.
- Develop an understanding of the meaning of life.
- Develop a basic understanding of the essentials of good citizenship.
- reach personal best performance
- set and meeting high standards
- persist through challenges and difficulties
- acquire virtues: simplicity, humility, love for work, respect, integrity, fairness, responsibility, accountability, cooperation, participation, etc.
- know, love and serve the Lord
- constant faithfulness to follow Christ
- advocacy of Church teachings
- love and preference for the poor
- sense of solidarity with the less fortunate
- compassion with the suffering
- self-sacrifice in favor of the common good specially the poor
- helping without counting the cost
- development of morally, socially and emotionally skilled person
- development of ethical thinker
- development of spiritual person crafting a life of noble purpose
- development of respectful and responsible moral agent committed to consistent moral action
- development of self-disciplined person who pursues a healthy lifestyle
The pupils are expected to:
- develop understanding that God is the Father and Creator of all things;
- acquire positive self concept and ideas;
- develop physical, mental and social well-being of pupils;
- develop the God-given talents and gifts through participation in inter- and intra-school activities;
- develop interest in learning through well-guided learning activities;
- develop skills in facing the various changes that may come in his/her way; and
- develop love for family, school and community through in volvement in different activities.
Grade School Objectives
The pupils are expected to:
- be involved in worships, prayer and liturgical services and other religious and outreach activities;
- develop the values of simplicity, humility, commitment and love of work inspired by St. Joseph;
- develop physical, mental and social well-being of pupils
- develop the gift of talents through active involvement in curricular and extra-curricular activities;
- exercise initiative to develop effective study skills for self-development;
- acquire basic skills and knowledge for functional literacy; and
- develop sense of nationalism by promoting Filipino culture and heritage and participating in nation building.
High School Objectives
The students are expected to:
- deepen faith through worships, prayer and liturgical services and other religious and outreach activities;
- actualize the values of simplicity, humility, commitment and love of work inspired by St. Joseph;
- maximize one's unique qualities, gifts and talents through physical, mental and social involvement;
- enhance the gift of talents through active participation in local and national activities;
- imbibe effective study skills for self development and greater achievement;
- acquire meaningful and relevant learning experiences that develop critical, analytical, innovative and decisive individuals; and
- develop responsible citizenship by advocating gender sensitivity, good governance, justice and peace and care for the environment.
EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION ( ECE)
The Early Childhood Curriculum covers “developmental domains” that refers to specific aspects of growth and changes in children. The contents of each developmental domain are defined by learning expectations as follows:
- SOCIO – EMOTIONAL DEVELOPMENT: Children are expected to develop emotional skills, basic concepts pertaining to her/himself, how to relate well with other people in his/her immediate environment, demonstrate awareness of one’s social identity, and appreciate cultural diversity among the school, community, and other people.
- SPIRITUAL/VALUE DEVELOPMENT: Children are expected to show positive attitudes, self – concept, respect, concern for self and others, behave appropriately in various situations and places, manifest love of God, country and fellowmen.
- PHYSICAL, HEALTH & MOTOR DEVELOPMENT: Children are expected to develop both their fine and gross motor skills to be efficient and effective movers when engaging in wholesome physical and health activities. They are also expected to acquire an understanding of good health, habits and develop their awareness about the importance of safety and how they can prevent danger at home, in school, and in public places
- AESTHETIC/CREATIVE DEVELOPMENT: Children are expected to develop their aesthetic sense and creative expression through drawing, painting, and manipulative activities. Aesthetic development involves the love and pursuit of beauty in art, music, and movement, and creates opportunities for the creative expression of emotions, thoughts, feelings, and ideas.
- MATHEMATICS: Children are expected to understand and demonstrate knowledge, thinking skills, and insights into patterns of mathematics, concepts of numbers, length, capacity, mass, and time through the use of concrete objects or materials, and to apply these meaningfully in their experiences. Children are provided with varied manipulative activities to help them see relationships and interconnections in math and enable them to deal flexibly with mathematical ideas and concepts.
- UNDERSTANDING OF THE PHYSICAL AND NATURAL ENVIRONMENT: Children are expected to understand and demonstrate a basic understanding of concepts pertaining to living and nonliving things, including weather, and use these in categorizing things in his/her environment. They are also expected to acquire the essential skills and sustain their natural curiosity in their immediate environment through exploration, discovery, observation, and relate their everyday experiences using their senses ( touch, sight, smell, taste, and hearing).
- LANGUAGE, LITERACY, AND COMMUNICATION: This domain provides opportunities on early literacy learning for self – expression through language using the mother tongue or the child’s first language. Children are expected to develop more positive attitudes toward reading, writing, and to view themselves as effective users and learners of language.
The ECE Program of SJS which includes Nursery and Kindergarten shall be provided a climate for learning that is fun, stimulating, loving and secure. In this nurturing environment, each child’s maturation and development levels will be respected and enhanced so that growth will occur at its own natural place in its own time.
- INFORMATION & COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY ( ICT) ICT is a subject offered in Kinder 1 and Kinder 2 using the Techno Kids Curriculum which is Techno Basic and Techno PC respectively.. This aims to promote appreciation and meaningful experiences of using technology at an early age.
GRADES 1 TO 10
CHRISTIAN LIVING EDUCATION
The Christian Living Program focuses on leading the learners to know, love, and share Jesus life to others. It is a means of providing them with meaningful experiences through the celebration of the Sacraments that will lead them to a deeper understanding of their faith and be a living witness of God’s love. It aims to provide enough knowledge and understanding of God’s law and Christian teachings among the students.
EDUKASYON SA PAGPAPAKATAO
Ang EsP sa mababang paaralan ay naglalyong linagin at paunlarin ang pagkatong etikal ng mga magaaral tungo sa pag – unawa, pagninilay, pagsangguni, pagpapasiya at pagkilos ng mga core at related values ng paaralan.
Ang asignaturang ito ay itinuturo sa pamamgitan ng modyul na inihanda ng mga piling guro ng EsP.
Ang Edukasyon sa Pagpapakatao (EsP) sa matats na paaralan ay asignatura na naglalayong linangin sa mga kabataan. ang pagkataong etikal. Tunguhin nito ang paghubog ng kabataang nagpapasya at kumikilos nang mapanagutan tungo sa kabutihang panlahat. Nangangahulugan ito na lilinangin at pauunlarin ang pagkataong etikal ng bawat mag-aaral. Upang maipamalas ito, kailangang magtaglay siya ng limang pangunahing kakayahan (macro skills): pag-unawa, pagninilay, pagsangguni, pagpapasya at pagkilos. Nililinang sa asignaturang ito ang apat na tema ang mga pangunahing kakayahang ito: (a) Pananagutang Pansarili at Mabuting Kasapi ng Pamilya, (b) Pakikipagkapwa-tao, (c) Paggawa Tungo
The English language focuses on the macro skills – listening, speaking, reading, writing and viewing spiral across languages. The ultimate goal is communicative competence both oral and written in the English language
Mathematics includes key concepts and principles of number sense, measurement, algebra, geometry, probability, and statistics as applied using technology in critical thinking, problem solving, reasoning, communicating, making connections, representations, and decisions in real life
Science education aims to develop scientific literacy among students that will prepare them to be informed and participative citizens who are able to make judgements and decisions regarding application of scientific knowledge that may have social , health, or environment impacts. The science curriculum recognizes the place of science and technology in everyday human affairs. It integrates science and technology in the civic, personal, social, economic, and the values and ethical aspects of life. The science curriculum promotes a strong link between science and technology, including indigenous technology, keeping our country’s cultural uniqueness and peculiarities intact.
Ang asignaturang ito ay lumilinang sa mga kasanayan ng mga mag – aaral sa pakikinig, pagsasalita, pagbasa, pagsulat, at pag – iisip sa Filipino.Saklaw ng mga kasanayan sa pakikinig ang masusing pagkilatis at mabisang pag – unawa. Sa pagsasalita naman, nahahasa ang wastong pagbigkas, paggamit ng mga pahayag at istrukturang panggramatiko. Sa pagbasa, nalilinang ang husay sa pagpapalawak ng talasalitaan, pagkilala sa mga salita, pag – unawa at kasanayan sa pag – aaral at pananaliksik. At sa pagsulat, napapaganda ang ayos ng sulat kamay, naiaangat ang kasiglahan sa antas ng pagkatha at kasiya – siyang kaayusang pansulatin. Ito ay binubuo ng dalawang bahagi – Wika at Panitikan.
Ito ay asignatura na nagtuturo ng mga konsepto sa panangutang pansarili, pamilya, kapwa, bansa/daigdig at Diyos; pananagutan para sa kabutihang panlahat upang mamuhay nang may kaayusan, katiwasayan, kaunlaran tungo sa kaligayahan ng tao.
HOME ECONOMICS AND LIVELIHHOD EDUCATION
HELE develops knowledge, skills, values and attitude in Entrepreneurship, Home Economics, Industrial Arts and Agri – Fishery Arts that can help improve self, family and community life considering sustainable development.
LIVELIHOOD EDUCTION ( LE)
LE provides an enriched general education that will prepare our graduates for higher education, world of work and lifelong learning LE in Grades 7 and 8 is exploratory while in Grades 9 and 10 is specialization.
INFORMATION & COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY ( ICT)
ICT is as subject offered from Grades I to Grades 10 using the Techno Kids Curriculum. This includes Techno Illustrator (Grade 1), Techno Illustrator (Grade 2), Techno Writer (Grade 3), Techno Travel (Grade 4), Techno Express ( Grade 5), Techno Savings (Grade 6), Techno Story (Grade 7), Techno Essentials ( Grade 8), Techno Art (Grade 9), and Techno Health (Grade 10). Techno Inventor
MUSIC, ART, PHYSICAL EDUCATION and HEALTH ( MAPEH)
Music and Art deal with the study of man’s aesthetic expression through sounds ( music) and visual (art) mirroring the sentiments and ideas of society and culture, and contributing to the development of individual and collective identity. The Music and Art program is designed to empower the learners to effectively correlate Music and Art to the study of Philippine Culture as influenced by history, the culture of its neighbors, and the effects of globalization and the advancement of information technology.
Physical Education and Health promote the development of active and healthy lifestyle. Physical Education focuses on five strands mainly: body management, movement skills, games and sports, rhythm and dance and physical fitness. The Health program deals with physical, mental, emotional, social, moral and spiritual dimensions of health that enable learners to acquire essential knowledge, attitudes and skills necessary to promote good nutrition, prevent and control diseases, substance use and abuse, and reduce health related risk behaviors and injuries with the view to maintaining and improving personal, family, community, national and global health.
CO - CURRICULAR
This is part of the school’s curriculum that is an extension of the subject which provides the students for the development of spirituality/religiosity, intelligence, talents and potentials, creativity, camaraderie, and confidence.
It is included in the school’s curriculum which is designed to cascade the Core Values of the school: Christian Discipleship, Excellence, and Service for Church and Society, Social Transformation. The grade for Conduct is based on the rating of the individual teacher using checklist which contains behavioral indicators of the Core Values.
GRADE 11 and 12
- Accountancy, Business and Management ( ABM)
- Humanities and Social Sciences ( HUMSS)
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics ( STEM)
- General Academic Strand ( GAS)
SOCIAL ACTION PROGRAM
Inspired by the core values of the school, Service for the Church and Society and Social Transformation, the Social Action Program of St. Joseph School came to life.
The Social Action Program is an indispensable feature of the institution’s formation process for it fosters conscious awareness among the stakeholders of the problems prevailing in the community and country. It is dedicated to improve the quality of life of the underprivileged by providing service opportunities and academic scholarship.
At St. Joseph School, we believe that giving back to the community teaches us the lessons that can only be learned by serving, lessons that deepen our faith. This, we see faith and service as inextricably connected; while faith inspires the service we do, it is still nurtured by service.
The St. Joseph School Social Action Program is realized through:
Dugtong Dunong Tulong Sa Pagsulong ( DDTSP)
Dugtong Dunong Sa Pagsulong (DDTsP) is the Manila North Cluster Schools response the call of the Church to help the poor such as the needy members of the school community and of their community extension. This program provides opportunities for all beneficiaries in alleviating their way of living by teaching them to stand on their own, on the process which may be gradual but is a sure answer to poverty of both body and soul.
Dugtong Dunong sa Pagsulong aims to:
- help the poor members of the school community both economically and spiritually;
- encourage the other members of the school community to help those who are in need especially those who live in the Community Extension, and
- Teach the Community Extension the principle “Teach man how to fish and he will live a lifetime.
Computer Literacy Program for Public Elementary Schools
The Basic Computer Literacy Program has been running as an apostolate program of the school for six years now. It was designed to develop among the learners of elementary public schools proficiency on the basic computer application skills (Microsoft and Techno PC). It was provided to students for free in five (5) months training twice a week.
To this date, St. Joseph School has already served six neighboring schools since its opening in S.Y 2007-2008. The schools are: Jose P Laurel High School (2x), Librrada Avelino Elementary School, Gregoria de Jesus Elementary School, Lakan Dula Elementary School, and Benitez Elementary School.
This is provided to students who are attending the Basic Computer Literacy Program facilitated by the Christian Living Education teacher. It is given for thirty (30) minutes twice a week.
Education Service Contracting ( ESC) Program
It has always been a desire of the school to expand its access to Basic Education by providing quality education to students coming from the public schools. But due to financial constraints its dream did not materialize until ESC under GASTPE came in. The school wasted no time to apply for certification to be able to avail the scholarship.
The Government Assistance to Students and Teachers on Private Education (GASTPE) is the government’s demonstration of commitment to maintain the viability of private school as key partner in the delivery of quality education. The GASTPE is being managed by Fund Assistance to Private Education (FAPE)
St. Joseph School has been an ESC member school since S.Y 2008-2009. Based on records, there were about 614 students who benefited from the ESC Program in S.Y 2013-2014.
The Senior High School Voucher Program under GASTPE (Government Assistance to Students and Teachers in Private Education) is a project of the Department of Education through RA No. 10533 popularly known as The Enhanced Basic Education Act of 2013. This program provides benefits and assistance to qualified students under the Senior High School Program which is the additional two years of secondary education included in compulsory Basic Education.
The applicable voucher value is eighteen thousand ( P18, 000.00) pesos per year of Grade 11 and 12.
Summer Remedial Reading
In keeping the mission of St. Joseph School of dynamically promoting academic proficiency, respect and care for life and compassion for the poor, a summer remedial reading program is offered to the pupils from the marginalized society. It is given to pupils who will enter Preparatory and Grade One with a minimal fee of P 150 a month for the use of air conditioning units in the classroom. Summer remedial reading normally starts in the middle April and ends in the middle of May.